Discovery and Measurement Challenges For Content Producers In The SVOD Era
The 20,000 Foot View: Streaming video consumption continues to accelerate, still adding users in more mature markets and expanding at pace in emerging markets. Though the mix of value propositions and business models is diverse, the unifying theme is that power is shifting from traditional stakeholders to new players. Rule books are being rewritten as quickly as relationships are being redefined.
As with any consumer technology growth phase, audiences have unprecedented choice due to new entrants competing fiercely for their attention and spend. They are providing them with new ways to discover and consume, which in turn is changing viewing behaviour.
In stark contrast to the content choice given to audiences, streaming services are highly protective of their data to ensure they retain the upper hand in negotiations. This often means measurement has to be rethought from the bottom up. Meanwhile, just as streaming services start to acquire a degree of industry familiarity, messaging apps are fast emerging as the next big audience engagement platform, threatening to rewrite the just-rewritten rule book.
- The subscription on demand (SVOD) unbundling effect that consumers have to navigate services, user experiences and billing
- The proliferation Over The Top (OTT) services led to the paradox of TV consumer having a surplus choice
- Streaming services a central, coordinated discovery experience, the tech majors could fix by becoming meta services
- Apple and have already made moves towards
- As users more time with streaming services, gradually shifts from lean-forward to
- Algorithms and will continue to do the lifting for streaming discovery, but opportunity exists for a bigger component
- Streaming video of total viewing time, rising for pay-TV subscribers and for users
- Audience fragmentation with streaming services’ tight control data is creating an existential for audience measurement
- Lack of gives SVOD services negotiating leverage
- Remnant linear are increasingly skewing towards specific of viewing, while SVOD services acquiring viewing time of the engaged viewers
- Netflix users index for Comedy, Action & and Horror, but under index Wildlife, News and Sport
Companies and brands mentioned in this report: Amazon, Apple, Facebook, Google, Netflix, Nielsen