Tech Majors Market Shares Q1 2018 Advertising and Subscriptions Power Growth
Our clients have full access to all of our reports. Clients can log in to read this report. Click here to become a client or, you can purchase this individual report.
The 20,000 Foot View: In 2018 advertising revenue and services revenue drove strong growth for the tech majors – Alphabet, Amazon, Apple, Facebook, with Alphabet and Apple retaining their respective leads in each of those revenue segments but losing market share. Subscriptions were also a big part of the narrative; Amazon and Apple highlighted significant subscription growth underpinning their growing service businesses.
- Tech major 2018 revenues totalled billion, up from 2017 and from 2016
- All four tech majors except Facebook grew faster in 2018 than they did 2017
- Apple has the largest market share followed by Amazon Alphabet with Facebook the junior partner with just
- Apple lost market share, dropping nine points across the two-year period, while Amazon gained five points, Facebook three points and Alphabet one point
- Tech major ad revenue totalled billion in 2018, up from 2017 – an acceleration on the Y-o-Y growth registered in 2017
- Facebook ad revenues were up YoY to reach billion, giving it a tech major ad revenue market share of up from in 2016
- Alphabet’s tech major market share of ad revenues also fell from in 2016 to in 2018
- Amazon ad revenue grew YoY in 2018 to reach billion, giving it a tech major ad revenue market share of around
- Apple is pivoting towards content and services against the backdrop of a maturing core business. Services revenues now account for of group revenues
- In 2018 Apple’s Services revenue was billion, a increase YoY, giving it a leading tech major services market share of
- Amazon recorded billion services revenue in 2018, a YoY increase and a third-placed tech major market share of up from in 2016
- Alphabet ranked second in terms of 2018 services revenue, with billion, giving it a market share of five points up from in 2016
Companies and brands mentioned in this report: Alphabet, Amazon, Apple, Facebook